Welcome to the Forum Archive!

We've now moved over to Boards where there's conversations going on right now, but within these archives you find over a years worth of cool and locally relevant conversations and content.

GO TO BOARDS

Summoners Rift Update performance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maraudaur

Community Coordinator

11-13-2014

Hey all,

We're hearing some reports about players hitting performance-related issues on the updated Summoner's Rift, and we're actively investigating all possible causes.

While we look under the hood for potential optimizations on our end, there's also a possibility that the updated Rift just doesn't play nice with certain setups. For those with performance issues, we'd appreciate if you could:

• Update your drivers
  • Adjust your environmental settings (try turning some down, as the scales got re-calibrated! Your 'medium' settings on the old SR might actually be closer to a 'low' on the updated Summoner's Rift - *even with the same performance*)
  • Disable HUD animations
  • Disable VSync

If none of the above work, you can help us out by posting a description of the issue in this thread along with a DxDiag:

>- Click the START button on the bottom left corner (default) or press the Windows Key.
- Type **dxdiag** in the search box and press ENTER.
- Click "Save All Information..." on the bottom right of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- Attach the file here.

We're seeing a lot of machines run the same or better on the new Summoner's Rift, but that's exactly what these staged roll-outs are for - tracking down the unforeseen performance considerations and figuring them out.

We'll continue to provide updates via this thread on our efforts and thanks for your patience.

TempName004

11-13-2014

Not trying to be rude here, but for the people who have low end computers - do they really expect to have a good fps when they have a computer from the year 2000?

Ill just input my comment anyway, my game seems to be running fine as usual 60 fps

Red Arrow

11-13-2014

Quote:
TempName004:
Not trying to be rude here, but for the people who have low end computers - do they really expect to have a good fps when they have a computer from the year 2000?

Ill just input my comment anyway, my game seems to be running fine as usual 60 fps

That's a tad bit of an over-exaggeration. When the new map was marketed as running faster than the current one, there should be no issues. I had no issues on Current SR but now I get constant FPS Drops on New SR, especially during teamfights.

Red Arrow

11-13-2014

That said, it'll probably take a few games for the map to cache and run a bit smoother.

TempName004

11-13-2014

Quote:
itsHurricane:
That's a tad bit of an over-exaggeration. When the new map was marketed as running faster than the current one, there should be no issues. I had no issues on Current SR but now I get constant FPS Drops on New SR, especially during teamfights.

yes i know they said that it would perform better, but the point still stands, times are changing, computer performance/ games are changing, its 2014 u shud have at least a mid end computer if you wanna play games smoothly with no issues.

But still i do have sympathy for people who cant afford good computers.

Red Arrow

11-13-2014

Quote:
TempName004:
yes i know they said that it would perform better, but the point still stands, times are changing, computer performance/ games are changing, its 2014 u shud have at least a mid end computer if you wanna play games smoothly with no issues.

But still i do have sympathy for people who cant afford good computers.

meh, I'm gonna be building a desktop soon(tm).

BfM DevOuR

11-13-2014

If you can't afford a computer that can run LoL then I don't know how you can afford an internet connection.

HORSE OF FORCE

11-13-2014

Quote:
BfM DevOuR:
If you can't afford a computer that can run LoL then I don't know how you can afford an internet connection.

Internet, last I checked, cost around $50 a month for unlimited (or near unlimited) use. Now, if we allow that to be what League requires, the internet costs you'd need would be around $25 dollars a month (half so we can easily do calculations for both).

12 months in a year. 12x25 is 300, so $300 a year. A mid range computer these days costs around a grand, so if you were to save what you would have spent on internet toward buying a computer to run Lol, then you'd have to wait for around 3 years.

The game is 4 years old.

HORSE OF FORCE

11-13-2014

I really find this disappointing, and wouldn't have really expected anything else. Since the announcement where you said that you were "optimizing" the map to be able to run on toaster computers I knew it. That statement meant that you've made a map which cannot be run on toaster computers, and thus any optimization you make to it will just be forms of shortcuts to create perceived improvement. As in, issues like this would arise, where it runs good while nothing is happening on screen, but when something does (which happens quite a lot in video-games :O) there is a frame-rate drop.

It's so frustrating how people are telling others that they should be upgrading their computers. There are still people out there who run League on Windows XP, and that was released over a decade ago! I agree that programs should not limit themselves by the people who don't regularly gouge out their wallets but by no means should that mean they are to be excluded from the fun! When you buy something like a computer, then you should expect it to last for a while, like say near a decade. After all, that's what you do when you buy a video-game console, or a sound system, or even a car.

And then there's the blatant disregard for the scales for the previous SR. The fact that "medium" is now considered to be "low" is degrading. People get used to the standards of what low, medium and high is, so why go change that on them? And why not change the scales for other graphic factors as well, like character detail or particle effects? And to top it off, it looks more like the current "medium" is actually to the quality of the old SR's "low".

tl dr; don't make something which clearly dates older technologies and then hastily try to fix it.

ArcticHorizon

11-13-2014

Minor issue I noticed where the frames were stuttering quite badly as I approached the middle of the map (I have a fast computer so It's not my specs)

DxDiag.txt