Welcome to the Forum Archive!

We've now moved over to Boards where there's conversations going on right now, but within these archives you find over a years worth of cool and locally relevant conversations and content.

GO TO BOARDS


Oceanic Skin Update

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CptStupendous

Community Manager

Follow CptStupendous on Twitter

08-04-2014

Hey party people!

A lot of threads have been popping up which lately and I've been called out for an update (rightly so!) I responded in another thread but I thought it made sense to create a new thread here as well. It's been a journey I can assure you all of that. We have been quiet about where it's up to and to be honest the reason why we haven't said much is we haven't had any meaningful updates. As a Player, when I hear a company say 'we're working on it' my initial thought is always 'yeah, bulls#@t'. We're working on it sounds like such a cop out even if it happens to be true.

Sadly though it is the truth. We are working on it. It's not something I spend all day every day working on, but it's definitely not something we've forgotten about. In fact, each time a new forum thread goes up the other Rioters in the office print out the thread and pin it to my desk just in case I forget:

http://imgur.com/qayjg7p

So Stupendous, if you're 'working on it' why haven't we produced an Oceanic skin? It doesn't take that long to create a skin!

You're absolutely right about that, but what does take time is coming up with the concept. Oceania is many countries and we don't feel it would be right to create a skin with an Australian theme or a skin with a Kiwi theme. We've chosen to run with concepts that appeal to multiple countries which is where things get complicated. Then mix in the quality control factors designed to ensure all new skins reach a certain bar and it's really hard to come up with a skin design which ticks all the boxes - a) relevant to Oceania as a whole b) works with a champ who's due for a skin c) ticks the quality assurance guidelines. We've had a few ideas that we thought were cool, but the champions they applied to were too far down the pipeline to wait on.

So what? Does that mean you're going to give up, sissy?

No, no it does not. We have a discussion pencilled in for tomorrow (already on the books before this post, believe it or not) to discuss a few new concepts we've come up with. From there if we think they tick the boxes we'll submit them to the skins team go from there. There are Rioters in the office as passionate about this as you guys and girls are, so I can honestly say we feel the pain! All I can do is give you my assurances that I'll continue to do my best..

Quote:
iNoob:
also make a new zealand skin like Kiwi Leona or Kiwi Lucian
or ANZAC Vayne, ANZAC Graves etc etc


We did think about an ANZAC skin, it's definitely the most notable bond between Australia and New Zealand. However at the end of the day we decided it wasn't the best way for us as a region to pay respect to our armed servicemen and women.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I Am Cody

Senior Member

08-04-2014

Transparency.... yes. Thankyou Riot for being upfront about this finally.

Edit:
Stupendous, after each of your penciled meetings regarding the skin, could you please give us an update in this thread?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CrazynTough Kiwi

Junior Member

08-04-2014

Thanks for the update Riot! Keep up the good work!

Like I said in another thread, you guys have it pretty hard given the region's diversity. I trust in you to make it happen though!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FortunexHunter

Senior Member

08-04-2014

i like cupcake more then mirken ^_^


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iNoob

Member

08-04-2014

Make an oceanic jayce skin
Feature him in a singlet with a casual jacket sort of thing, not like a jumper like summer wear to go around your singlet.. it could be a blue jacket and white singlet, the blue thing could have the australian flag behind it, he would also have sunglasses on and riding on a jet-ski, his hammer could be a wet noodle from a swimming pool and his gun could be a super soaker...

also make a new zealand skin like Kiwi Leona or Kiwi Lucian
or ANZAC Vayne, ANZAC Graves etc etc


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dota2forthewin

Senior Member

08-04-2014

people can now stop their qq

finally an update !


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CptStupendous

Community Manager

Follow CptStupendous on Twitter

08-04-2014

Quote:
iNoob:
Make an oceanic jayce skin
Feature him in a singlet with a casual jacket sort of thing, not like a jumper like summer wear to go around your singlet.. it could be a blue jacket and white singlet, the blue thing could have the australian flag behind it, he would also have sunglasses on and riding on a jet-ski, his hammer could be a wet noodle from a swimming pool and his gun could be a super soaker...


I can't wait for summer now!

Quote:
iNoob:
also make a new zealand skin like Kiwi Leona or Kiwi Lucian
or ANZAC Vayne, ANZAC Graves etc etc


We did think about an ANZAC skin, it's definitely the most notable bond between Australia and New Zealand. However at the end of the day we decided it wasn't the best way for us as a region to pay respect to our armed servicemen and women.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CJ Entus Xice

Junior Member

08-04-2014

Thanks so much for the update. I know posted in the other thread earlier tonight but I feel that the skin should be something like Forgotten *insert champion name here*, this is because it would completely avoid a lot of the bias towards any particular country/region and the stereotypes that accompany them. This theme still ties in with the Oceanic community as it would play with the fact that Riot worked so hard to come up with ideas for the skin that the community just claimed it was scratched and forgotten. The skin could look like the champion had been lost for centuries e.g. covered in vines, coral, brush, totems or old armour e.t.c. depending on the champion it was made for. This to me seems like the best idea considering the circumstances. Just an idea ))


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jason

Senior Member

08-04-2014

I've got a HUGE list, literally ( check player concepts sub forum )

I do like the idea of an ANZAC skin though


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CptStupendous

Community Manager

Follow CptStupendous on Twitter

08-04-2014

Quote:
CJ Entus Xice:
Thanks so much for the update. I know posted in the other thread earlier tonight but I feel that the skin should be something like Forgotten *insert champion name here*, this is because it would completely avoid a lot of the bias towards any particular country/region and the stereotypes that accompany them. This theme still ties in with the Oceanic community as it would play with the fact that Riot worked so hard to come up with ideas for the skin that the community just claimed it was scratched and forgotten. The skin could look like the champion had been lost for centuries e.g. covered in vines, coral, brush, totems or old armour e.t.c. depending on the champion it was made for. This to me seems like the best idea considering the circumstances. Just an idea ))


That's far from the worst suggestion I've heard ;-) Some of the ideas floated around the office have been shockers!