Why You Dropped Divisions and Why it Doesn't Matter.

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OrcwardOrc

09-07-13

After playing their first ranked game on this server people seem to be dropping divisions, what does this tell us? That OCE>NA? No, too early to tell as of yet due to ranked queues only being open for a few hours. However, what this does tell us, is that right NOW at this moment in time the quality of players, based on MMR is higher than it was previously on NA.

IMPORTANT READING FIRST

Be aware also that I doubt very much the system considers your League Rating (For example Silver 2) when calculating where you should be placed, it looks at your MMR and places your League Rating based on that MMR.

But Sir Orc, what exactly does this mean?
Well this means the percent of players in each tier is different than it was previously, for example, we shall use this thread back from the NA forums. Along with this picture from this thread
In this thread it states that Silver 4 contains 66,536 and that 40.25% are at or above this division.
If you were at Silver 4 in NA then your skill is not Silver 4, it is the top 40.25% of players. So if the top 40.25% of OCE is now Silver 1 then you will be placed in Silver 1. What we see here is that the 40.25% of players (Continuing to use Silver 4 as an example) is now higher than it previously was then you too will rise with this.

But Mr. Orc! How come I have dropped and not risen?
Well what we are seeing here is that people below a certain point (Seemingly to be around Gold 4) are the ones dropping, people above this rank seem to be RISING in general. So we can assume that there is an influx of people (as in percentages) being put in below Gold 4 (or where ever this imaginary point is) and pushing people above them up, and people below them down.

But sir! How does this affect me?
Not at all! Unless you are so tied onto your ego and your ranking that you play to have a pretty picture with your name and not to improve or enjoy the game. This solely affects those players, you will still find yourself matched against the same tier of players compared to NA.

Thanks for your time!

TL;DR
Silver 5, for example, is not a definite place where someone belongs it is the point at which the people in it are the top x% of the SERVER. If there is more people above you, in percentage, than there were in NA then you will drop, if there are more below you then you will rise.

My experience with the new rankings.
Before transferring from NA, I was on a disgusting losing streak. I was in either Silver 2 or 3 and had lost all the way down to the bottom of Silver 4. Now before this I had climbed from Bronze 3 or 4 with a friend, this friend stopped playing ranked at Silver 5 and at that point, when duo-queuing we had began to be matched with many golds and Silver 1s/2s so it is safe to assume that her elo was at around that point.

Last night we played our first ranked games on OCE together, I played Vayne and her Sona, and we won. It was quite a good win too, I was 15 and 0 and even got a pentakill! But after this, she was promoted from Silver 5 to Silver 4, I however was 'promoted' (-Riot) from Silver 4 to Bronze 1.

Now, at this point the summoners I play with are of approximately equivalent skill levels to what I was playing with before the transfer. But I am confident that soon I will find myself back in Silver, not because 'I was there once so I must belong there still' but because I have the abiility to improve and evolve my play style. Because I believe that I belong higher than I currently am placed, not because I am some god and 'the only reason I am not in challenger is because of bad teams' but because I can improve my play style to advance.

TL;DR for this part
I dropped to Bronze 1 after placement, while this is now where I belong due to my MMR here being the same as NA, I will eventually crawl back up because I have the ability to get better at this game, not because I can achieve this rank again because I once had it.

RawrWill

09-07-13

I think people are more angry at the fact that when Riot introduced the league system they promised that once you earned a tier, you can't lose it. Dropping from Gold to Silver sucks really bad after you spent a long time getting there, and now you have to do it all again. Honestly not worth the transfer I would have rather stayed on NA with 100 more ping and be in gold then have to deal with silver again.

BIG Maxwell

09-07-13

Bump

KillerBiscuit

09-07-13

Needs more turtles.

Wang Jouster

09-07-13

I went from gold 5 to silver 2 after winning my placement game, not particularly worried about it, won my next game and gained 31 LP so it won't take long to climb, it is basically another fresh start.

RawrWill

09-07-13

It's a good post but doesn't help anyone feel better after being dropped an entire tier.

Tarotdawn

09-07-13

Riot gonna riot

momonator420

09-07-13

Bump a good read

OrcwardOrc

09-07-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrWill View Post
I think people are more angry at the fact that when Riot introduced the league system they promised that once you earned a tier, you can't lose it. Dropping from Gold to Silver sucks really bad after you spent a long time getting there, and now you have to do it all again. Honestly not worth the transfer I would have rather stayed on NA with 100 more ping and be in gold then have to deal with silver again.
I see what it mean but the fact is that the ranking is nothing more than a pretty symbol, the MMR is what really matters, and I see that to be the same, your skill level is still the same and you will still be playing with similiar players to you what you were before.

Krueske

09-07-13

People will always complain, I was gold 5 (going between 4 and 5), got placed in Silver 2. I however much prefer having a constant 25 ping than playing with anything from 170-230 depending on server. I don't doubt i'll climb back up, the people who are complaining are the ones who don't think they'll be able to obtain said rank again.

12345 ... 6