Welcome to the Forum Archive!

We've now moved over to Boards where there's conversations going on right now, but within these archives you find over a years worth of cool and locally relevant conversations and content.

GO TO BOARDS

Welcome to LoL, Here's some tips to get you started

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alictron

12-04-2013

Greetings

If you're visiting this you're probably a new player in need of a few pointers in the right direction. Cool, I'm not some top teir pro player, nor am I some elite Rioter. I'm some what of vet to this game and I have been through the wringer just as you are now.
So what can I do to help you? Well take some time to read this and ask questions and we'll see about getting you through the hard yards.
Oh an this cute thing is a poro (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yLrzBQYzLM8/UqeKnGLVSrI/AAAAAAAAKYc/r1xzo1ntRzM/s1600/profileIcon588.png). Poros are so OP they can be hit by abilities and never die. If you feel like raging hug the poro

What do all these terms mean?
Relax stay calm there are a lot of terms used in LoL and even I'm still learning them. Either they are terms back from the good olde days, new terms brought in by new players or internet slang. There are some that are very important and best to learn asap.
B
see that starnge letter on your keyboard, that's your 'recall' button or 'back' button. If you see someone type 'b' in chat that is usually what they are refering to. This has extended to backing off due to being to dangerous as well
MIA or SS
Short for Missing in action. You probably wont see much of this now due to it being available on the radial ping, That big question mark on the mini map means this as well.
Re
Short for the enemy has returned to lane, use this if you have called MIA and the enemy has returned to the lane
Blue/Red
These are slang for the 2 buffs, while at the low level this may not be noticed as much you will see it more as you level up.
mid/top/bot
Refernece to solo lanes, solo bot is uncommon but has been done
ADC/Supp
These are usually the duo lane roles, as a new player don't worry too much about the Support role but it does help to know about it. ADC is the olde term for Marksman, but can also refer to melee as well.
Jung
Short for jungler, don't worry about this so much if you're new, as you progress you may stumble into this role and learn more about it.
CC
Short for Crowd COntrol, this is really any status effect such as slows, stuns or silence
AA
Auto Attack, basicly your basic attack.
Carry
Synonymous with ADC. Carry or carrying is term used to describe taking your team to victory. Note that carrying your team does not mean that you have the highest KDA in the game but includes taking objectives.
KDA
Kill Death Assist spread or ratio, either indicates some of your performance. It is considered that 2 assists are equal to 1 kill.
Objectives
Thes are towers, Dragon, Baron, Inhibitors and the Nexus. The you need to work with your team to secure these and carry your team to Victory
CS
Creep (Minion/monster) Score, this is often used to gauge how you are performing during the laning phase, note that this can be thrown off by KDA, or if the Support is carrying a Relic Shield.

What champions should I start off with?
TBH it's up to you, There some I would recommend learning because they'll teach you some basics.
Ashe
She is a nice simple Marksman, Her abilities are pretty straight forward and despite popular opinion she is in a good place. But she's the tutorial champ? There is a lot more to her than the tut shows, plus if you feel you're failing at your job as the ADC she doubles as a great support with CC on her AA.
Annie
Deceptively strong mage, she teaches last hitting with her Q so it is a great way to learn how to lane. She also has the second longest base AA in the game at Lv1 so if you are a little skitish you can use that to aid you
Sona
If you want to learn Support there is no one better, the running joke is smash face against keyboard, fortunately there is a little more to it then that.
Malphite
Unfortunately a lot of the Solo top laners are a little tough to learn or the Tanks usually jungle. Malp is probably a good start, He is pretty forgiving if you stuff up as 9 times outa 10 you wont win your lane but you wont lose either

I want to learn more than the mechanics, where do I get this information?
What you want is a champion guide. There are many sites that do this, some good some bad. My personal Favourite is http://www.solomid.net
Two of NA's top teams (TSM and C9) have written guides on this site.

I'm new and kinda want to play with a friendly group
Don't we all
Chill out and relax despite what you may run into in this game and what may appear on the forums majority of players are generally out to make this game fun and enjoyable, win or lose.
If you really need someone to help you get rolling feel free to add me and ask me to come into a game, I normally jungle but I am always happy to be the support and watch your back, or you might be able to join in on a few community customs held during the week.
Most important thing is to be well mannered and have fun. Ask for help during champion select if you are really unsure of yourself, gaurantee 4/5 games someone will be willing to take some time to spend with you.

Well that's all from me, I'll try keep this updated and answer any questions you may have.

GLHF and c ya on the Rift

Brought to you by your local mad Kiwi

EDIT: Almost at 6000 views, glad this caught some attention, if you find this useful please upvote or leave a comment, also feel free to ask me for any help

UPDATE 30/01/2014:Since this got stickied I thought it was due for an update. Added info on Carry, KDA and Objectives
UPDATE 25/03/2014:Can't believe I forgot CS >.<

Sprakk Junior

12-04-2013

+1

Ibraesil

12-04-2013

Regarding the Champs to start off with, I personally recommend 450 champs over other tiers. Here I put Ashe, Ryze and Garen as you will probably have played one of them in battle training/tutorial

Alictron

12-10-2013

Have made it so you can click the link to get to solomid.

Alictron

12-12-2013

New players need poros so there is a free poro fo ya

5nipez

01-03-2014

Best beginners guide by far

Jue Viole Grace

01-11-2014

Alchemist ur a beast

Alictron

01-12-2014

Quote:
Buk Lau:
Alchemist ur a beast

Buk you realise I no longer go by that name right?

Jue Viole Grace

01-12-2014

Quote:
Alictron:
Buk you realise I no longer go by that name right?

Never forget

Alictron

01-13-2014

Go away for 2 weeks and this sky rockets in views. Cheers to all who have, and hope it's helping out.
Feel free to ask for any help