Undeath, Terror and Acid Hunters: Let's talk Urgot First Riot Post

1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

14-11-13
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Hey all,

Urgot's a champion we haven't talked much about recently and one who's fallen out of sight after we reduced his power a while back. That's something we'd like to look at - reanimated undead monstrosity with powerful, heavy weapons and a mighty hatred's a cool concept that we're not doing justice at the moment. As a result we'll be doing some work on Urgot's kit next year, experimenting to find out what we need to do to preserve (or enhance) the cool aspects about him, while fixing the problems that lead us to nerfing him heavily in the past. That'll take a while, as a starting point though I thought it'd be great to get a bunch of thoughts from people on Urgot, both what he currently is and what he's got the potential to be.

If you play Urgot, what is it that appeals to you about him, both in terms of theme and gameplay? Which of his abilities define what it's like to play Urgot for you? If you don't play Urgot, are there particular reasons you're not interested in doing so?

When playing as Urgot are there things that feel unnecessarily difficult to do or ineffective? When playing against Urgot are there things that feel unfair?

General thoughts/comments also extremely welcome. One disclaimer though - at the moment at least we're only looking to work on Urgot's gameplay, not do a full overhaul of him, so while we'll assummedly give Urgot a visual upgrade at some point it'll be a separate, later project.

A Forum Goer

14-11-13

Haha first fk u

But yay Urgot

I don't play Urgot, but the one thing that appeals to me about him is how much I can rek someone if I hit the poison then just shoot with target shots like 4 times.

Fjalda

14-11-13

Landing his abilities to absolutely decimate is a very appealing concept for me, and his early game, lane dominance is what I love about laning with him. What I don't like about him is a chunky ult that isn't very conducive to who he is, and his low AA range that leaves me wanting... well, to actually be able to hit stuff.

jis33785

14-11-13

The problem about urgot is, he's way too mana hungry in every role. When he gets a blue buff, it's fine. But even with tear, which extremely easy to stack as urgot, he still has mana problems. Also, his ult is a little bit hard to understand. He's supposed to be the squishy ad carry that deals dmg from the back lines. But for some reason, his ult has an extremely short range, and it brings him to the whole entire enemy team to be melted. Because of that, I don't think he really fits in the meta right now
tl;dr fix his mana problems, and change his ult. Overall, I think he's a cool champion and extremely fun to play

Rey Rob

14-11-13

I don't like playing him because he's ugly tbh. But since youre not really interested in the physical aspect of things... another reason why I personally don't like playing him is because his play style confuses me, like, is he meant to be an ADC or a tanky bruiser?

AGodDamnTruck

14-11-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Hey all,

Urgot's a champion we haven't talked much about recently and one who's fallen out of sight after we reduced his power a while back. That's something we'd like to look at - reanimated undead monstrosity with powerful, heavy weapons and a mighty hatred's a cool concept that we're not doing justice at the moment. As a result we'll be doing some work on Urgot's kit next year, experimenting to find out what we need to do to preserve (or enhance) the cool aspects about him, while fixing the problems that lead us to nerfing him heavily in the past. That'll take a while, as a starting point though I thought it'd be great to get a bunch of thoughts from people on Urgot, both what he currently is and what he's got the potential to be.

If you play Urgot, what is it that appeals to you about him, both in terms of theme and gameplay? Which of his abilities define what it's like to play Urgot for you? If you don't play Urgot, are there particular reasons you're not interested in doing so?

When playing as Urgot are there things that feel unnecessarily difficult to do or ineffective? When playing against Urgot are there things that feel unfair?

General thoughts/comments also extremely welcome. One disclaimer though - at the moment at least we're only looking to work on Urgot's gameplay, not do a full overhaul of him, so while we'll assummedly give Urgot a visual upgrade at some point it'll be a separate, later project.
His kit isn't very cohesive. One of the lowest aa range of all ranged (I think the other one is thresh) but he doesn't gain anything to make up for the low range so there is no real point of trying to go for AA trades . His kit pigeonholes the play style with him having to do a combo of e w q q q. His w also is almost always better to not use as a shield but rather for its slowing capacity. Rather strange that a hero that relies so much on skill shots have such little playstyle where some of the champs that have one method of playing best are non skill shot based e.g garen.

Thematically urgot is also disappointing as he is someone who just got chopped in half and resurrected by more sinister means and his kit doesn't really reflect that as much. His choice of poison where you aim to slowly kill /poke the opponent doesn't live up to the half dead vengeful incarnation of urgots lore.

RaiseThe Phoenix

14-11-13

I love playing Urgot and enjoy him alot. The first and main problem is he is just way to manna hungry to dish out damage as a lane bully which is something, yes he is good at but can easily be replaced by many other viable people. I like is ult alot and would like it to stay but it diffidently needs to be improved.One small improvement i can think of is that is auto attack range increases with the range of his ult. the acid hunters are very fun to play around with but like i said waaaay to manna Hungary and you just cant do alot with them after you run out of manna which is usually the first 5-minutes.
Hope i put in some help.

Malygos

14-11-13

Don't turn him into an AD carry. I like how he exists as the bruiser of AD carries. He's beyond Graves, who still maintains standard ADC play patterns. The most iconic thing about Urgot is that he's not afraid to sit in the middle of 5 dudes, so long as he's able to shove a carry out of position.

He should be a handful to deal with, since that's what he is. He's a hulking monster who cares not for the mess he leaves behind.

Keep his EQQQ poke combo, maybe play around with his W (the shield is pretty meh, and the slow effect isn't really needed, it just adds to his potential power without too much interesting gameplay). Don't touch his ult. It's perfect.

Art Vandelay

14-11-13

After playing a fair bit of urgot this season (non competitively) I feel as though majority of Urgot's problems lied in his Ultimate.

Essentially, he can't use his ultimate in a teamfight unlike majority of other ADCs. I also feel as though granted Urgot can lock onto enemies with his targetting system if they're hit by acid, he loses that vision when they go into a brush which doesn't feel like it should happen, they're being tracked by poison, and that vision is lost through the brush, no, it doesn't feel real enough. Urgot needs to get a new ultimate to make him viable in any kind of competitive play with some improved lane mechanics.

Just my two cents, Meddler.

Married to Nami

14-11-13

I find the design of Urgot undesirable, that's the reason I won't play him, he just looks Ugly.

That being said I don't really think his design should be changed.

On his skills, I've watched a few people play him, he seems to just fall off, like previously said I noticed a big issue with him is Mana. If you want to play him as an Marksman he had to build a Manamune. Although Ezreal does build a manamune, it is OPTIONAL, he doesn't need it. Whereas Urgot needs it.

Sorry if this sounds bad, just some reflections from a spectator. He's pretty deadly when no one know how to deal with him though :/

1234511 ... 14