Riot Careers Question

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

5nipez

10-10-13

Hello Riot Staff

I am currently in a really unique situation as I live in Sydney, Australia close to central Sydney and have recently dropped out of high school after finishing year 11. I did this due to wanting to get into an eventual UTS course known as Programming and Games Development, this course required a 92 ATAR and with my combination of subjects getting such an ATAR would require such a large amount of time doing nothing what so ever, including league. So I found another way to get me into the course in which I finished year 11 and then went into a TAFE course at *********** TAFE, this course will get me the certifications in order to get me into the later university course in which I can learn and hopefully get involved into the game development companies. I now have 3 months or so (until february) in which all I'm doing is putting all my effort into saving money and doing lots of hours with retail work, although it is good and pays $10 an hour (basically a millionaire) I would find it so much cooler if there was a possibility of doing something that involved actual game development stuff. I was wondering as to what the availability of doing basically anything what so ever at riot's Oceanic office (which I'm pretty sure is located in central Sydney) would be as I'm an enthusiast of the game and am really looking into steering my career into the games development direction, whether it's photoshop art, programming, testing, etc I'm interested in it all and that's why I want to be able to incorporate work with hobbies.

Thank you for having a read hope to be in touch

P.S. Any job or unpaid experience at riot would be better than storing stock.

DQ nVayne

10-10-13

Alright, time to prepare you for the real world. =)

1. What positions at Riot would you be most keen on filling?

2. What positions at Riot do you think would fit you the best?

3. What do you see your job being like with Riot, in regards to what you'd expect responsibility wise.

4. What experience do you have, professional and unprofessional, in your chosen speciality?

5. What corporate experience do you have in your chosen speciality?

6. If Riot had to chose between you, and a slightly better version of you, how would you respond?

7. How many years experience do you have in videogaming, naming as many multiplayer online based games, and your experience with them.

8. What could you bring to the Rioters office, that would make you different to the hundreds of current applicants?

9. You are behind on a vital project, and everyone at the office is busy. It's your responsibility. How do you respond?

10. As a Rioter, what standards do you think you'll need to uphold, and how would these be similar / different to your normal state?

GL

~J

5nipez

10-10-13

Thanks Jason for helping me make my description a bit more informative
1. What positions at Riot would you be most keen on filling?
Anything really I have like a wide variety of strengths when it comes to this cause I enjoy doing it all even the laboursome jobs my main goal has to be either graphics or the actual programming side though.

2. What positions at Riot do you think would fit you the best?
I think if it were to be graphics I would like to join the team that manages original creation, after EB Expo I saw the way champions were made etc and I would love to be able to draw all these things together from the outside world to create a champ for the rift.

3. What do you see your job being like with Riot, in regards to what you'd expect responsibility wise.
Definitely high standards while at work and offline as well (by offline I mean while still playing league) they would expect you to set the standards and I feel I can meet them

4. What experience do you have, professional and unprofessional, in your chosen speciality?
Professional I only have my recent retail experience from the last 2 weeks in which I've managed to work 90+ hours in order to pay for a new computer and save money for the future while I have the ability to save it all.

5. What corporate experience do you have in your chosen speciality?
Corporate wise I have next to no experience graphic wise I've done bits and pieces but nothing was ever really official, as for the programming side of things basic school projects is my max, it's more my interest and ability to learn that I think will help.

6. If Riot had to chose between you, and a slightly better version of you, how would you respond?
The slightly better person wont have someone to keep them motivated, my life has always been aiming for the top having to try and be the best whether it's siblings or grades having someone better than you reminds you that you're not the best and that you can always do better :P

7. How many years experience do you have in videogaming, naming as many multiplayer online based games, and your experience with them.
Multiplayed about 6 years
Singleplayer roughly 13 years
I have always had video games in my life it was a hobby and a fun one at that but I found myself just able to pick up on the early PS2 games fast and then it became boring so when I got old enough and found games such as warcraft, world of warcraft. Honestly I mainly opted for the singleplayer and multiplayer console games rather than online as I was of a younger age and so didn't fully understand the concept of online play. But when it comes to singleplayer games nothing can beat the classics such as Crash Bandicoot

8. What could you bring to the Rioters office, that would make you different to the hundreds of current applicants?
Determination more than anything, where most people would give up I would have a genuine interest as well as the determination in which I've picked up along my reasonably short life. I feel that sticking to something is important till you see it to the end and working at riot would be no different.

9. You are behind on a vital project, and everyone at the office is busy. It's your responsibility. How do you respond?
Do what I can, attempt what I don't understand and fill the criteria to as close as possible if not completely then say if it's not perfect then I've got work for the next few days to catch up on.

10. As a Rioter, what standards do you think you'll need to uphold, and how would these be similar / different to your normal state?
Riot's standards will have to reflect not only onto myself while at work but will also have to reflect my online and in person character as I will be representing riot as a company and even when I'm playing League off work days for example I'll still have to put the effort in, in order to set the best example and try and be the best behaved player every game, this would also reflect at riot events etc etc.

Well I better go to sleep now since I have a 14 hour day stacking boxes tomorrow and wouldn't want to miss that, thanks jason for making my info a bit more extensive and hope it helps whoever is reading understand me a bit more.

EDIT: Riot SMK said in a previous post that showing what you've done with your ambition is another good thing to do and so I just want to list some stuff I've done

-Hosted a tournament in NA with riots funding
-Created a Streaming Channel and Reached over 500 followers
-Created several ranked teams and practiced but didn't mesh well in the end
-Found a great bunch of new people and friends by streaming
-Was unable to go to PAX but found myself going to EB Expo and spending majority of the day in the League Area whether it was playing games out back or watching the main games and cool stuff going on in the big screen.

AuV2 Shadow

10-10-13

You deserve the position A6YOG, keep up the good work!

DQ nVayne

10-10-13

Amongst the jobs being advertised, there aren't any entry level things, making it hard for youths such as A6YOG and myself to find positions.

I'm helping A6YOG get a bit realistic, set short term and long term goals, and put him on the right path.

convincing him that pestering Rioters isn't a good move, he's having an ambition high right now, and his normal thought pattern isn't currently working

Art Vandelay

10-10-13

I'm fairly certain Jim had a thread similar to this were Sue replied..

DQ nVayne

10-10-13

this was my post back on the NA

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3174151

FinestTryndamere

10-10-13

1. You gave up on high School.

2. You don't seem affluent.

McDonalds for life.

5nipez

10-10-13

1. I didn't give up on high school I could have continued and gotten around a 70-80 ATAR but it wasn't going to get me into the games development and programming course and so I decided this was a better option, if needed I can always go back and finish school but for now I'm interested in working in games development and I can see where it takes me.

2. I'm not affluent and so that's why I'm working 40 hour plus weeks currently in order to save money while I have these 3 months off before the course starts.

12345 ... 8