@Riot Why the 17+ Age Restriction?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sushix

02-07-13

From someone who is 17 early next year, I was wondering why this 17+ age restriction was in place. By next season I'll have a **** ton less time on my hands for taking LoL seriously because of exams etc.I understand an age restriction needs to be put in place, but I feel 17 is a bit unnecessary. I you're competing in the LoL professional scene at 16 or even 15, you must be good enough and mature enough to be on an actual team.
tl;dr I'm selfish and I want the age restriction lowered so I can compete professionally this year.

KlOwNie

02-07-13

The restriction will not change, they didnt change it for bjergson so they wont change it for you. Its there rules.

Shortie

02-07-13

The restriction was made because most people below 17 have other responsibilities to worry about such as school which is a lot more important than a LoL tournament.

Riot Benji

Oceanic eSports Coordinator
Follow Benji on Twitter

02-07-13
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I made a response to this over at (http://forums.oce.*******************...ead.php?t=2102)

Basically due to younger players requiring a legal guardian to accompany them, we decided to simply put an age restriction to the event. This is not just for the Oceanic Championship, but any event associated with the Season 3 World Championship.

Minigorophin

03-07-13

i'm glad Riot is actually commenting on these posts, Thanks riot atleast you guys watch over..

Sushix

03-07-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Benji View Post
I made a response to this over at (http://forums.oce.*******************...ead.php?t=2102)

Basically due to younger players requiring a legal guardian to accompany them, we decided to simply put an age restriction to the event. This is not just for the Oceanic Championship, but any event associated with the Season 3 World Championship.
Thanks for the response, I guess I'll train for season 4.

Bladerz

03-07-13

What happens if you turn 17 DURING the time frame for the tournament

I will be 17 on July the 12th

can i still sign up?

CIoudz

04-07-13

yeah unfortunately being a younger member of the lol community it is disappointing at times with these age restrictions but i can understand why they are there. Although i do wish there were some junior tournaments as i consider myself quite good for my age and i have been playing the year the game came out, so almost or around 3 years now.

Akury Beast

22-08-13

This doesn't always seem to be the case though,

I must admit that im pretty good and the age restriction being 17+ isn't always going to work. People are just going to make accounts with different ages.
In my opinion riot should change the age restriction to 13 and over for the people who DO know what there doing.
Or at least make a Change Age option to change your age to the real one.
Riot please think about that a lot of your players are ages around 10-17 and putting the age restriction isn't stopping anyone.

An idea to help this may be that you could Change the age restriction to 13+ but the people under 17 will get reported and banned easy

Hebuska

23-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akury Beast View Post
This doesn't always seem to be the case though,

I must admit that im pretty good and the age restriction being 17+ isn't always going to work. People are just going to make accounts with different ages.
In my opinion riot should change the age restriction to 13 and over for the people who DO know what there doing.
Or at least make a Change Age option to change your age to the real one.
Riot please think about that a lot of your players are ages around 10-17 and putting the age restriction isn't stopping anyone.

An idea to help this may be that you could Change the age restriction to 13+ but the people under 17 will get reported and banned easy
Huh? The age requirement for TOURNAMENTS is 17+...