What happens in s4 ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dota2forthewin

28-08-13

I haven't started ranked yet but was wondering to the changes in s4. If I play now and get in bronze/silver,etc, will my ranked stats reset? I haven't played in s2 so i don't know what is going on. Is it better to wait for s4 then play ranked? Or is it better to go ranked now? I am really not sure.

Include additional info if you think they are going to be useful.

Kurokocchi

28-08-13

If you play now, you can get rewards for this season. At the end of the season, everything will be wiped, and your elo will be soft reset I.e. dragged towards 1200.

Dota2forthewin

28-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurokocchi View Post
If you play now, you can get rewards for this season. At the end of the season, everything will be wiped, and your elo will be soft reset I.e. dragged towards 1200.
So if i play ranked now and screwed up and got into bronze 5, in s4 i get to play 10 ranked matches again to have a second chance to skip bronze?

Fernandy

28-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dota2forthewin View Post
So if i play ranked now and screwed up and got into bronze 5, in s4 i get to play 10 ranked matches again to have a second chance to skip bronze?
yes.

Dota2forthewin

28-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilFernandez View Post
yes.
Awesome, thanks for clearing things up. I got a little confused when I asked my friend.

Fernandy

28-08-13

all good. the system is kind of confusing. I have to start ranked myself, so im a little nervous :/
best of luck!

kylarii

28-08-13

Bronze isn't so bad. It's a learning experience after all. You shouldn't avoid playing just because you *might* get put in Bronze :/ Or stop playing if you do end up getting put in Bronze heh. Don't take it too seriously and just make sure you learn from your own and your teammates' mistakes and keep a positive attitude

Good luck!

Kurokocchi

28-08-13

Nope. That's not right. You get pushed towards 1200... But you don't get hard reset.

Say you're 800 elo or Bronze V, you'll most likely end up in Bronze3-2 after reset. Likewise, a Silver 1 will be 4-5 after reset

Dota2forthewin

28-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurokocchi View Post
Nope. That's not right. You get pushed towards 1200... But you don't get hard reset.

Say you're 800 elo or Bronze V, you'll most likely end up in Bronze3-2 after reset. Likewise, a Silver 1 will be 4-5 after reset
I thought all ranked stats will be reset. For e.g someone in diamond 1 in s3 will be unranked in s4. I did some research and read a s2 FAQ. So you are saying that in s3, the changes in ranked will be slightly different from s2?

Kurokocchi

28-08-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dota2forthewin View Post
I thought all ranked stats will be reset. For e.g someone in diamond 1 in s3 will be unranked in s4. I did some research and read a s2 FAQ. So you are saying that in s3, the changes in ranked will be slightly different from s2?
Quote:
Why are we resetting Elo and what is a soft reset?

With a new season comes a fresh chance to prove your skills. A soft reset means that we'll be compressing everyone's Elo towards 1200 and resetting the system's confidence in those ratings so that large Elo swings are possible.

Why aren't you just resetting everyone back to 1200?

Since matchmaking is based on Elo ratings, this would mean that matchmaking would be entirely random, which would lead to incredibly lopsided matches for the first few days or weeks until ratings again converged towards appropriate levels.

Examples pls!

A player with a 2200 rating will be around 1700 after the reset.

A player with an 1850 rating will be around 1550.

A player with a 1500 rating will be around 1400.

A player with an 1150 rating will be right around 1200.

A player with an 800 rating will be around 1000.

A player with a 450 rating will be around 850.
Source - http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...php?p=30862865